- Buy blackout curtains. Instead of installing windows with multiple panes, blackout curtains reduce heat loss by a quarter.
- Install a rain barrel. A clean, regular barrel can easily and inexpensively be converted into a rain barrel.
- Put a garden on your roof. Grab some dirt from the hard. The only thing that will cost you money is seed and tarp.
- Remove your carpet. It increases your in-home air quality and reduce allergies. Make sure you have hardwood underneath and get your landlord's permission where applicable. Then, recycle your old carpet.
- Put caulk around your outlets, switches and windows. Put an insulating foam gasket behind your outlets and switches.
(Photo: Rain Saver)