Friday, May 15, 2009

Fishing Hooks - Commentary from WECT's Gary McNair

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - "I never thought I'd be doing a commentary on fishing hooks, but I do like to fish and my good friend Bob Townsend has enlightened me on the subject of hooks. Now, I feel obligated to share that information with you.

For years, the primary type of hook has been a "J" hook, but conservationists have been encouraging people to use "circle" hooks. It turns out a circle hook is actually safer for the fish.

If you catch a fish using a circle hook, it is usually hooked in the jaw and can be easily removed from the fish's mouth. That's especially good news if you are practicing "catch and release."

"J" hooks will also catch fish, but it increases the chances the fish can swallow the hook. And if that happens, trying to remove the hook usually causes a fatality.

Spring fishing along the coast is picking up, so go out and enjoy. Be sure to know and follow the rules - don't forget to get a license.

Give that circle hook a try, and practice good conservation efforts. That way we'll all benefit and there will plenty of fish for everyone.

That's my turn. Now it's your turn. To comment on this segment, or anything else, email me at yourturn@wect.com."

- Gary McNair, WECT

http://www.wect.com/global/story.asp?s=10363018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't worry! Your comment will appear shortly.